Monday 6 December 2010

Holidays


It's long since I had this switching-off mode and the laziness/laissez faire attitude that is attached to the days close to Christmas. Well, since 1999 when I finished skool, I have basically had exams in Dec up until last year when I did my last "work-study" exam in my ngumbaru years. So i have basically been stressed and running around like a headless chicken for the better part of this past decade.

Normally I dash out of the house in a huff at about 7am to join the Nairobi jam on Langata road on my way to the ofisi. Well normally I would give myself some 45-50 minutes to follow the traffic snarl-up as I listen to the retards on the morning shows on radio. Today almost everything was going wrong...I chucked late from the house (7.15am is late, in my books), the car decided to die (Bless you my unnamed neighbour hero for the jumpers ...you are a true godsend..al try look for you and buy you a cold one!). At least I got to meet my other fly neighbour and give her a lift (there is usually too much testosterone in my mobile...something for a change!). Anyway now to spoil my morning.... I knew it would take me at least one hour to get to the office. I had milked the "where I can drop you to find the quickest mat into town" vibe and "expertly" advised on the Kenya National Library stage in Community. Well I expected the queues to start along Langata road as we came down, but noooo...barabara alikuwa nyweeeee! Not even a 10 minute stop by the cops at the roundabout?...well onto Mbagathi we went, and same result. I was at the KNH roundabout in record time..15 minutes from home where I would have taken 50 minutes! Well as I dropped her and sped off in my mum's twin turbo charged monster, It did not hit me until I was in the office that SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED!
The roads will be clear for another one month as guys go on leave, no school buses on the road, people will start the urban rural migration and Bara-Coasto migration to go squander some cash in the name of Christmas. For now I will enjoy some lazy days as we go into the festive season, and since only the government plans that far ahead, wait and see how things will go from here.

2 comments:

  1. Hehehehe!never thought I'd find someone who wishes for open day....Wonders never cease!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There would have been a benefit if skools were open..somehow :-P

    ReplyDelete