Saturday 26 June 2010

Oh Fortuna!

I know I often get lambasted for my love of classical works, and one of my favourite classical pieces is "Oh Fortuna" by the German composer Carl Orff, which is often mis-attributed (if ever there was such a word in existence) to Mozart. I just love the way the composer makes use of the variation of volume to get the emotions into the song. it is often used in countless movies, commercials, etc to depict some calamity, impending catastrophe and all the scary stuff you can think of, which got me thinking. You probably have heard this song a million times, but it never registers on your mind. It topped the list of the most played classical music piece in the UK in the last 75 years. Listen to classical..it is good for your brain I hear.
I had a friend who when listening to a music piece would isolate individual musical instruments and analyse the performance of the instrumentalists on that song (the lead guitar in "Hotel California", the drums in "Je Suis un rockstar" (I am sure only me and my boss know this song heh heh heh!).
The composition of any great piece takes the effort of several minor but often ignored components, so don't assume your contribution is negligible in whatever role you are asked to play. Be it work, social activity or random chores, you may think what you do goes unnoticed, but when you don't do it, is when you and others discover just how significant that "little" effort is. You can be replaced yes, but your contribution has value.

No comments:

Post a Comment