Friday 25 February 2011

A chance for my vote to have some meaning...for once


I am usually apathetic to politics (I can be very sarcastic by the way when referring to politicians), and this time round just before the world ends in December 2012, we would have cast our votes in August of that year. My plan was to spoil my vote, or identify some non-starter (Chibule wa Tsuma-like) to basically waste my vote on. In the past it has been a case of voting for "the lesser evil"...Even in 2002, when the old regime of Uncle Dan was trying to get in UK to succeed him in the white house on top of the hill, it was the same case...recycled politicians who were not fit to hold any leadership position.
To be honest, other than a few lawmakers, most of them deserve to be lined up and prodded with some sharp object on their backs to walk the plank...pirate style in shark infested waters. As I watch in amusement at the goings on in the Arab world, I wonder silently to myself in that broken American English phrase ... who woulda thunked that?...The strongmen in these Middle East nations looked like they were going to stay in power for the rest of their lives, but things can change in the blink of an eye...one day Mohamed Bouazizi was pushing his cart of fruits and being hassled by the "kanjo" of Tunisia, and the next moment he had set himself on fire and sparked off a chain of events that saw the Tunisian, and Egyptian regimes sent packing....The times they are a changin'

Anyway, for those of us who are almost losing hope when we look at our situation back in Kenya
, we may have something to hold on to. We passed a new constitution, which makes matters at least bearable in some ways, restricting impunity in its own small ways. But the news that got me most optimistic was the decision by one of the few beacons in the August house to run for the BIG job..step forward Gatanga MP, the most Honorable Peter Kenneth. I have always been silently praying that a revolution of young leaders with the right intentions when gunning for public office come to the fore and do things "the way they are supposed to be done", and I am
sure residents of Gatanga will never be blinded by retrogressive politics from now on...if you can't demonstrate what value you are adding to the community you are representing, you are of no use to them, and they will ensure they get someone who responds to their needs and assists in finding solutions, not necessarily solving them.



Whatever he may have done in the past that I know not of, I really don't give a hoot...he has so far demonstrated service to the community, willingness to deal with development projects to alleviate poverty and non-involvement in hollow verbal exchanges and political plots. So sir, don't bother campaigning to me....you already have my vote! My prayer is you get there and make a "Gatanga" out of our beloved country.
So the journey begins mimi nitafanya pro-bono campaigns for this young man, and hopefully he will surround himself with like minded people (like he said to a few of us the other day) to propel us to where we are supposed to be...Kenya deserves better than what we currently have!

No comments:

Post a Comment